Hayden’s Journey

Pregnancy was pretty normal with Hayden.  I had my first daughter 6 weeks premature and the doctor doesn’t know why.  So with Hayden they watched me pretty closely and towards the end every check up I was hooked up to the contraction and heart rate monitors just as a precaution.  Also as a precaution I had a very intensive ultrasound at 20 weeks.  Then a few weeks before she was born at a check up the doctor thought my fluid was low so the day after Thanksgiving they searched around for a place to get an ultrasound done but everything was normal.  I was scheduled for induction on her due date if I didn’t go before that, the doctor didn’t want me to go past it.

So we go in and get the last bed in labor and delivery at 5:30 on a frigid December morning and get ready to have numero 2.  Thinking this will be cake compared to the 2 weeks I spent in and out of the hospital with numero 1.  They start the pitosin and nothing, so they crank it up, and the contractions kick in but Hayden’s heart rate drops.  They back off the pitosin and her heart rate comes up but then the contractions drop.  We played this game for a while.  Doc decides to break my water to see if that gets things going.  Nope.  So they decide to crank up the pitosin and get this kid out.  Except I have tree trunks for legs and cannot feel a thing!!!  So they whisk me off to emergency C-section.

They finally get her out and all seems well.  However, she is not able to keep her body temperature up so she is constantly being checked and put on me to snuggle.  They do take her down to the NICU for a time too to put her under the warming lights to help out.  On her first night we finally get her home she pukes up every feeding.  The next day she has a check up with the pediatrician who decides to put her back in the hospital because she is slightly jaundiced and they want to make sure she is keeping food down and that it doesn’t get worse over the weekend.  Of course we go back and first thing to make me feel even worse about the situation is that the hospital checks her in as a boy.  Wrong!  Then she decides to keep most of the feedings down for the nurses.  Great…what am I doing wrong.  Then bingo about 3am she pukes every thing up on a nice young nurse who fed her.  Okay…I’m not crazy.  She does better and they send her home the next day.

At about 2 months old she becomes colicky.  We tried different formulas, different ways to lay, be, etc.  The only thing I can do to calm her is basically rock her and keep her asleep all of the time.  I even try investing in one of those crazy contraptions that the baby lays in like a hammock that you wrap around yourself so then your hands are free to do things.  Yeah…I felt absolutely silly with this thing on and was scared to death to do anything around the house for fear of her falling out.  So I just rocked with her in the rocking chair or stood in the middle of my living room.  When I mentioned it to the pediatrician he thought it was acid reflux so he put her on liquid zantac saying if it wasn’t that trying this wouldn’t hurt but if it was she’d be a different child by the end of the week.  And boy it worked, she wasn’t 100% better but much.  Once she hit 4 months and started eating the horrible horrible cereal babies start on she was taken off the zantac and seemed to be better.  Think again!  Then she started puking up after every feeding.  So then we went to the formula that thickens when they digest it and nothing really seemed to work.  I just got to the point where I just had millions of burp cloths around and lots of extra clothes on hand (for her and me).  Doc assured this would go away as she got older that the valve closing the stomach wasn’t strong enough.

And it did get better.  Once she really started eating solid foods it got better.  Once she really found solid food it was like she couldn’t get enough food.  But then she would get to the point of not chewing her food and just shoveling it in that she’d choke and puke.   We’ve had a few embarrassing puking episodes with her at restaurants and out in public with this.  But today she is a little better with this, still have to watch her and how much she puts in her mouth as she just keeps putting pieces in and not chewing what is in there.  Now she is to the point though where she’ll just spit it out.  Oh and then there is the car sickness.  I used to have to drive her 45 minutes in the morning to daycare near my work.  We’d get a mile away from the babysitter and she’d puke.  Besides the horrible drive I also believe it was the milk and breakfast in the morning that was doing it.  So we switched to her having juice in the morning and she’d get some dry cereal in the car on the way and that seemed to help her.

Other than this she did everything she was supposed to at pretty much the age she was supposed to except talk.  By age 2 all she pretty much said was dada and papa.  Papa was weird as she wanted nothing to do with her 2 grandpas.  At her 18 month check up the pediatrician suggested that at 24 months if it wasn’t improved we needed to look into speech therapy.  I was sort of baffled, how do you do speech therapy on a 2-year-old who doesn’t speak?  But 24 months came and went with no improvement.  So at about 28 months we took her for an evaluation and they suggested speech therapy 1 time a week to start.  But I waited it out a few more months hopeful that she would just start talking.  I heard parents say that their child really wasn’t saying anything and then one day boom!  So I was just hoping and wishing that would happen with Hayden.  Nope!

Of course speech didn’t go real well at first, she wanted nothing to do with it and was terrified of the therapist.  Of course they were male and she had something against strangers to begin with especially males.  The place finally changed to a young female therapist and she did a little better.  Also we had grandma take her and she seemed to interact with the therapist more when I wasn’t there for her to cling on to.  I finally pushed for them to tell me what was going on and she said childhood apraxia of speech.  The therapist said they don’t like to give that diagnosis at such a young age but that is what they were seeing.  But that is how they were going to treat her.  Hayden did get to the point where she was having therapy 2 times a week, but I was not seeing any improvement, the therapist said they saw it, but I did not.  Her dad checked into a special education/early start pre-school in the school district.  After an evaluation with them she started there every day after her 3rd birthday.   I have seen some improvement with her as far as her socialization and her speech but obviously she is not 100%.

So that is the jist of her almost 4 years of existence.  She is my “special” little girl who breaks my heart because she can’t talk to me.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: